Sunday, September 7, 2014

Recipe: Asparagus gruyere eggs with polenta

On the weekends I post items to Facebook a lot.  I've already posted at least twice, maybe more today.  The problem is, breakfast was really good and I wanted to share that.  I've decided that I can say so here and get it out of my system.  Breakfast was really good!

It was leftovers and foods that needed to be thrown out soon, and that made it all the more satisfying.  Ha.  So I'm giving you the recipe.  If anyone needs me to I will try write the recipe the way you're Supposed To, but for now it's written how I would write it for myself.

Asparagus Gruyere Eggs with Polenta

asparagus
spinach
eggs
pre-shredded gruyere/Swiss cheese mix from Trader Joe's
pesto
pre-cooked polenta
olive oil
pepper
largish and smaller nonstick frying pans

In one largish frying pan on medium heat, pour some olive oil. Probably around a tablespoon.  Slice the polenta, which you buy in a tube and can slice with a butter knife, into slices about 1/2" thick.  Maybe three slices per adult.  Put the slices in the pan.  Sprinkle pepper on the polenta, and leave to cook.  I added a spatter screen because the water from the polenta combined with the oil can get a little spitty.

In a smaller pan, again on medium heat, pour some water. Maybe 1/4 cup.  Next comes the asparagus.  Re: asparagus, did you know that before you use it, you should snap each stalk in half and discard the bottom?  It apparently breaks at the natural point to help you avoid woodiness or something.  Whatever, just do it.  Then slice the asparagus into 1/2" pieces (or smaller) and put them all in the pan.  Let them cook for a little while.

Flip the polenta and pepper the new side just before doing the next step.

When the asparagus starts to smell like it's cooking (flip the polenta) then add a handful or so of spinach to the asparagus and stir them around.  Make sure the water doesn't ever cook off completely, because it's steaming things but also acting like oil would and keeping everything from sticking.

When the spinach is wilty and the water almost gone, add eggs.  I usually like two per adult, but because the polenta is filling, I only added three eggs for me and the Hubby.  Break the yolks and mix them into the greens.  Let that cook for a moment.

Add a pinch of gruyere cheese to the top of each polenta slice.

Mix the eggs again and add some gruyere to them.  Stir occasionally until no part looks too shiny.  "Too shiny" means not cooked enough.

When the eggs look almost done, turn off the heat under the pan and turn your attention to the polenta.  Move the slices from the pan to the plates and spread some pesto on each slice.  Then divide the eggs between the plates, either on or beside the polenta, and serve.

There you go.  I've never tried to post a recipe before so we'll see whether this is adequate.  Some other day I might post a photo of the food, but frankly we ate it too fast to think of that.

There is a thing my Mom and I do, and maybe my Sister, when food is extra good.  We take the occasional bite with a flourish of the spoon, like "bite--ta dah!"  When I find myself doing that, it is Good.  I did that this morning.

1 comment:

  1. YUHM-EEE! Sounds great, Alyson! Thanks for sharing your very own recipe! I will have to try it after getting a hold of some of that gruyere!

    ReplyDelete